Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A New Beginning

I am a Christian.

I have been a Christian since the day I was born, and I have hardly missed church on Sundays in my life. My father is a pastor. I served as the president of the youth group of my church for one year and I am currently leading the praise team for my church. Every morning after I get up, before doing anything else, I read the bible for several minutes and and try to understand what God is trying to say to me for that day. Thus you can see that I have a very firm foundation on God.

However, as I grow up(I'm 17 now), I meet more and more people and understand that lots of people don't share my beliefs and views life in a completely different way as I do. I used to be so sure what I believed in was the undeniable truth, but then I found other people who thought the same with their own beliefs. That got me thinking, "There can't be a number of truths, but only one. Am I right in what I believe in? If so, other people are pursuing something in vain. What makes them believe in what they believe? The people they get to meet? Their culture? Their race? Or are they actually correct, whereas I am wrong?"

I think I'm reaching adolescence at the age of 17, which could possibly explain why I'm experiencing this confusion :-). So I am going to begin my quest for the truth, to find out whether what I believe is the truth and hear what other people has to say on what they believe is the truth. It's going to be a lengthy journey!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps different religions have the same foundations, and the essence of what they teach is fundamentally the same. If you examine and compare religious texts, you see that all emphasize on the same points. It's just that the ways that it is expressed is different. You have to remember that the founding fathers of some major religions (considering that they have a founding father: Hinduism is a classic exception) lived at different periods in history, and, most importantly, different places. The ways that they expressed their beliefs had to, to a certain extent, be similar with the beliefs of the people they taught, or else they would never be accepted. So many of the religions have their own curiosities and eccentric customs that may have arisen from tradition. Thus they merged with these traditions to create new religions.

Of course, since the oldest religion is Hinduism, the essence of all religions comes from it =D . You can't deny that!

Unknown said...

And why the hell is the Yale Logo your profile picture?

J.Park said...

Well have you actually read and compared religious texts?

I think I need to read the Koran and the Brama something(Hindu book) if I have some free time

Unknown said...

I've read some of the Koran, most of the Bible, and the Bhagvad Gita. And yes I have compared them.